THE WHATCOM MUSEUM occupies three distinctive and historically significant buildings in downtown Bellingham’s cultural district. For information regarding hours and admission, please click
THE LIGHTCATCHER is designed by Olson Kundig Architects’ founding partner, Jim Olson. The building is named for its focal point and most innovative feature — a spectacular, translucent wall 37 feet high and 180 feet long, that captures the Northwest’s most precious natural resource: sunlight. The 42,000-square-foot-building integrates natural materials native to the region and is the first museum in Washington designed and registered to LEED Silver-Level specifications. The Lightcatcher hosts a rotating schedule of art exhibitions throughout the year as well as our Family Interactive Gallery (FIG).
OLD CITY HALL, home to Whatcom Museum since 1941, is a beloved city landmark. With its Victorian cupolas and central clock tower a stately community presence for more than a century, the history of the building and its inhabitants (including prisoners!) remains central to the Whatcom Museum’s mission. While our fine art exhibitions have moved to the climate-controlled galleries of the Lightcatcher, Old City Hall is open with rotating historical exhibitions and remains the site for many of our most popular programs. General visitor hours are Thursday – Sunday, noon – 5 PM.
THE SYRE EDUCATION CENTER is home to a classroom space and permanent historical exhibits for group tours and school field trips including “Northwest Coast First Nations,” “Pioneer Life,” “Logging,” and “Birds of the Pacific Northwest.” Built in 1926 as the City of Bellingham’s fire hall and adjacent to the 1892 Old City Hall Building, the Whatcom Museum’s widely recognized Photo Archives are also located on the second floor of the Syre Education Center; the archives are open to the public for research.
One admission gets you into the Lightcatcher, Old City Hall, and the Syre Education Center when it is open.