The Whatcom Museum Foundation and Museum Advocates host a brand new event this coming fall, Contemporary Craft 2017: Artwear | Craftware, held in downtown Bellingham at the Whatcom Museum campus September 22-24, 2017. The show will bring 60 artists from across the region to display and sell their outstanding, unique handmade work in the Museum’s Lightcatcher building. Works of the highest quality will be on view, and for sale, in the categories of clothing, jewelry, glass, ceramics, wood, sculpture, and mixed media. The Whatcom Museum is a Smithsonian Affiliate, and uses the Smithsonian Craft Show, the most prestigious event of its kind in the US, as a model for this debut show in Bellingham.
The three day affair will include several components:
- A celebratory party opening the show on Friday evening
- Two days of shopping for the public on Saturday and Sunday
- Luncheon with informal modeling at Ciao Thyme restaurant on Saturday
- Raffle for chances to win artworks and wonderful experiences
- Online auction starting a week before the show
- Juried Gallery in Old City Hall displaying the unique juried pieces
While the City of Bellingham provides important support for the Whatcom Museum as a partner, the Whatcom Museum Foundation funds the Museum’s exhibitions and educational programs. Contemporary Craft 2017 will raise money for the Museum’s programs and bring new audiences to its campus. Visit www.contemporarycraft2017.com for more information about this exciting event, including sponsorship and artist participation.